At Kinder Pediatric Dental, we understand that having a beautiful smile is important to your teenager. These are crucial years for socializing, making friends, and developing self-confidence. Nothing should be standing in their way of sharing their smile with the world.
If your teen is embarrassed by their smile alignment, they may need orthodontic treatment. However, we also know that as a teenager, they may be self-conscious about wearing metal braces. That’s why our Bakersfield, CA office offers a more concealable, comfortable, and convenient treatment option—Invisalign for teens!
What is Invisalign®?
Invisalign is a clear aligner system that uses a series of clear, removable trays to gradually shift the teeth into the proper position. Because they are nearly invisible, your teen can feel confident about their smile during treatment. The system consists of a series of between 18-30 clear aligners that are worn for two weeks each. As your teen wears each tray in order, their teeth will gradually shift closer and closer into their proper position.
What Are the Benefits of Invisalign®?
Invisalign offers many benefits over traditional braces, which is why we often recommend them to our teenage patients. Some of the benefits of Invisalign for teens include:
- Invisalign is virtually invisible. Your teen won’t have to worry about their appearance while wearing Invisalign. People will only see their smile—not their orthodontic treatment.
- Invisalign is comfortable to wear. There are no metal wires or brackets that can cause irritation and pain like traditional braces.
- Invisalign is very convenient. Because the aligners are removable, your teen can take them out to eat their favorite foods and brush and floss their teeth with ease. There are no food restrictions with Invisalign!
- Invisalign is proven effective. Invisalign has been shown to be just as effective at treating orthodontic issues as traditional braces.
The Invisalign® Process
The process for getting Invisalign at Kinder Pediatric Dental is simple and straightforward.
- First, you will schedule a consultation with our doctor.
- During the consultation, we will perform a thorough examination of your teen’s teeth and gums to determine if Invisalign is right for them.
- If so, we will take digital impressions of their teeth and send them to the Invisalign lab.
- The lab will then create their custom Invisalign aligners.
- Once these aligners are ready, you and your teen will come back to Kinder Pediatric Dental to pick them up and our doctor will give you instructions on how to use them.
Invisalign aligners are to be worn for 20-22 hours per day and should be removed only to eat, drink, brush, and floss. Your teen will need to come back to our office approximately every six weeks so that we can check on their progress and ensure treatment is moving forward as planned. The entire process usually takes between nine and fifteen months.
Is Invisalign® Appropriate for Children?
Invisalign is appropriate for patients who have all of their permanent teeth and their 12-year molars. If your child does not yet have all of their permanent teeth, we may recommend traditional braces instead. Overall, our team will only recommend Invisalign to teenage patients at our office. This is because Invisalign works best when the teeth and jaws have completed development and are no longer susceptible to change. This ensures that the treatment results are retainable long term.
Additionally, younger patients may not have the maturity to keep their aligners in for 20-22 hours per day as directed. We find that teenage patients are more likely to comply with this treatment requirement and, as a result, see better treatment results.
If you think Invisalign is right for your teenager, call Kinder Pediatric Dental today to schedule a consultation! Our team would be happy to answer any of your questions and help them get started on the path to a straighter, healthier smile.